How to Keep Hot Tub Water Crystal Clear
Keeping your hot tub water crystal clear is one of the most common questions hot tub owners have. So how do you keep up with it?
10 Tips For Clear Hot Tub Water
Here are 10 tips that will help you keep your hot tub water crystal clear so you can enjoy it for a long time to come.
- Use a spa cover – This is an obvious one that is easily missed. A lot of the time, cloudy hot tub water happens because fungi, algae and pollen carried by the air around us falls into the hot tub. Using a spa cover keeps all these impurities out and your water nice and clear. Check out our line of spa covers here.
- Use a debris remover to keep the debris out – Got debris in your hot tub? Use our Extenda Spa-Skim debris skimmer for removing leaves and other debris.
- Ask users to shower before usage – The lotions, oils and hair products we use can get into hot tub water and keep it from being crystal clear. Each time you and your loved ones take a dip in your hot tub, skin cells are shed into the hot tub. Over time, these contaminants build up and make your water cloudy. To keep your water clean longer, you can ask that friends and family members who want to use your hot tub wash off before they use the hot tub.
- Shower caps in the hot tub – And tied into the point above, you can ask that friends and family members wear shower caps or other waterproof hair covering while they are in the hot tub. This will prevent hairs and hair product from getting into the filters and blocking them, which is something that can happen over time.
- Test your water for pH and alkalinity – Checking the pH of your hot tub water is a must. The pH of your hot tub water should be between 7.2 and 7.8. Anything above 7.8 is considered alkaline and this can cause cloudiness in your water. To keep it clear, check the water in your hot tub at least once a week if you are a light user and 2-3 times weekly if you use your hot tub heavily. Apart from the pH of the water affecting the clarity of your water, a high pH or one that is below 7.2 can have harmful effects on your skin.
- Add the necessary chemicals – Once you have checked the pH of your water, the next step is to add the appropriate chemicals to adjust the pH. Shocking your water also helps to keep your water clear. Check out our line of SpaBoss hot tub pH and cleaning chemicals here
- Sanitize your hot tub regularly – Chlorine-based chemicals are the usual go-to for sanitizing your hot tub. Make sure your hot tub is running when you add your sanitizing chemicals and keep it running for 15 minutes after you add the chemicals with the spa cover off.
- Empty the hot tub every 6 months – There is only so much sanitizing you can do. After 6 months (depending on bather load) of using your hot tub, it is time to drain it and refill it. Once you drain it, it is helpful if you can clean the insides of the hot tub. Remember all those bodily oils we talked about getting in the hot tub? Sometimes they stick to the sides and need a good cleaning with SpaBoss polish before you refill the hot tub.
- Fill with filtered water – Hot tub drained and cleaned out? It is time to fill it with water. But do we fill it with just any ole’ water from the taps? As it turns out, the water that comes out of your taps contains various metals. This can contribute to cloudiness over time., use a pre-filter when you fill the hot tub.
- Clean or change your filters regularly
The filters in your hot tub need to be cleaned or changed regularly if you want crystal clear water. Your filters have water running through them to keep your water clean. Over time, they catch a lot of particles that need to be cleaned or if it is beyond cleaning, replaced. You can clean your hot tub filters by doing a simple rinse with hose water. Or you could do a chemical soak with filter cleaner solution diluted in water. If you choose to go this route, you will soak the filter for 24 hours in the cleaning solution. After the 24-hour soak, you will rinse with a lot of water to get the cleaning solution out of your filters before you reinstall them. Check out Master Spa Parts carefully curated line of filters for your hot tub .
Follow this advice and you will always enjoy a hot tub that has beautiful crystal clear water.
Need professional help troubleshooting a problem with your hot tub? Call us at (888) 436-9515.